Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Contender

Written by Jimmy McCarthy





Performed by Tommy Fleming

When I was young and I was in my day
Sure I'd steal what woman's heart there was away
And I'd sing into the dawning
So I'd blaze until the morning
Long before I was the man you see today

And I was born beneath the star that promised all
I could have lived my life without Cassandra's call
But the wheel of fortune took me
From the highest point she shook me
By the bottle I live, by the bottle I shall fall


There in the mirror on the wall
I see the dream is fading
From the contender to the brawl
The ring, the rose, the matador, raving

And when I die I'll die a drunk down on the street
You will count me out to ten in clear defeat
Wrap the Starry Plough around me
Let the piper's air resound me
There I'll rest until the lord of love I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment