Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Brooklyn Roads

Words and Music by Neil Diamond




Performed by Neil Diamond

If I close my eyes I can almost hear my mother calling
"Neil, go find your brother
Daddy's home, and it's time for supper, hurry on"
And I see two boys racing up two flights of staircase
Squirming into Papa's embrace
And his whiskers warm on their face
Where's it gone, oh, where's it gone

Two floors above the butcher, first door on the right
Life filled to the brim as I stood by my window
And looked out on those Brooklyn roads

I can still recall the smell of cooking in the hallways
Rubbers drying in the doorways
And report cards I was always afraid to show
Mama'd come to school and as I'd sit there softly crying


Teacher'd say, "He's just not trying
He's got a good head if he'd apply it
But you know yourself it's always somewhere else"

I built me a castle with dragons and kings
And I'd ride off with them as I stood by my window
And looked out on those Brooklyn roads

Thought of going back, but all I'd see are strangers' faces
And all the scars that love erases
But as my mind walks through those places
I'm wondering what's come of them
Does some other young boy come home to my room
Does he dream what I did as he stands by my window
And looks out on those Brooklyn roads
Brooklyn roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment