Thursday, March 1, 2012

Collection: The Best of 20 Years Before



This collection came out in the 1980s, all oldies of the 1950s and 1960s covered by a group known as The Majestic Orchestra. The singers had a peculiar accent which I fail to pinpoint, but most of the songs are quite enjoyable. For instance, I prefer this version of You Mean Everything To Me to Neil Sedeka's, and this version of My Home Town to Paul Anka's original one.


Am I that Easy to Forget

Blue on Blue

Cha Cha Cha

Changing Partner

Dance on Little Girl

Deborah

Diana

Evergreen Tree

Five Hundred Miles

Frankie

Ginny Come Lately

Goodbye

Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye

Honey

I Love You Baby

I Will Follow Him

Itsy Bitsy Tennie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Jailhouse Rock

Jambalaya

Judy Judy Judy

Kiss Me Another

Kiss Me Goodbye

Kiss Me Honey Honey Kiss Me

Look for a Star

More Than I Can Say

Morning Side of the Mountain

My Home Town

Never on Sunday

North to Alaska

Oh Carol

One Way Ticket

Puppy Love

Put Your Head on My Shoulder

River of No Return

Rock Around The Clock

Rose Rose I Love You

Roses Are Red

Run Samson Run

Runaway

Rythm of the Rain

Sad Movies

Save the Last Dance for Me

Sealed with a Kiss

Seven Lonely Days

Sukiyaki

Summer Wine

Teenage Idol

Tell Laura I Love Her

The End of the World

The Voice of Love

To Sir with Love

Today

Unchained Melody

Whatever Will Be Will Be

Yakety Yak

You Mean Everything to Me

Young Lovers

Your Cheating Heart



16 comments:

  1. These songs were recorded by Hong Kong Majestic Records Company in early 1980s. They were performed by Hong Kong local singers, names unknown, the female singer has distinct Asian accent.The first time I heard these songs was back in 1982 on cassettes when I went to college in mainland China. Thanks for sharing these songs. They brought back wonderful memory of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and the additional info.

      Delete
    2. There are two songs which are not in this list, one is "George Girl", the female voice seems like Prudence Liew; and the other song "Tammy", the male voice seems like Michael Kwan.

      Delete
  2. Good mood song. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant thank you enough for posting these. My father had this album when i was a kid. I grew up listening to these songs. I have been looking for this version as opposed to the original songs for so many years. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome. I understand how you feel. They're like your old friends, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much Gaveros...I grew up listening to this specific version of the songs. Listening to the songs again makes me feel human again...being reminded of love, hope and joy while growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very glad to hear this means that much to you. You're more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like them all but im still looking for river of no return,dance on little girl and deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. i found all but river of no return

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found backup files in CDs so I'm adding the missing songs to this page. You'll find the songs you requested here. I also added the rock 'n roll songs in this collection for completion even though I think these singers could not do rock 'n roll very well - they just didn't have the voice for it.

      Delete
  8. I am looking for the names/images of the main singers. I will be appreciate if you have the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I don't have any further information on these singers.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much, gaveros. You have no idea how happy I am to find out your post. You see, my mom had these wonderful songs in cassette tapes and I grew up listening to them. I've been looking for this specific version for ages since I like them better than the original version. Listening to them again now, I'm reminded of my good old childhood memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite glad that this post made you happy :-)

      Delete