Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cottage by the Lee

Words and Music by Richard Farrelly




Performed by Daniel O'Donnell

'Tis well I know that often folks keep wond'ring
When in my eyes a far-off look they see
What can it be the cause of all my dreaming
What is this dream so very dear to me?

And truth to tell, 'tis often I go roaming
In dreams along the road of memory
To where my heart will find its consolation
Within that lovely cottage by the Lee

My home, sweet home that I so fondly cherish
The dear ones there mean everything to me
In all this world, if there can be a heaven
I'm sure it's in that cottage by the Lee


'Tis grand to stand outside that cottage doorway
And gaze across the corn fields so rich and gold
To hear the stream go rippling by the meadow
Or watch the shepherd calling to his fold

And down the lane that winds behind the garden
The blackbird greets the smiling summer morn
And as his music echoes o'er the valley
You smile and bless the day that you were born

Yes, that's my dream, my lovely dream of homeland
And though I thought a rover I could be
It's soon I found I left my heart behind me
Within that lovely cottage by the Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment